Last Monday, I got an automated phonecall from Martini's school saying that there was a gunman spotted by his school and that all studens would be taken to a jr. high nearby and if you could, keep your little one at home. I was quite rattled and listened to the message probably five or six times to make sure I didn't miss anything important.
I prayed and thought about what I would tell Martini because he had already eaten breakfast and we were soon about to leave. I told Martini that they canceled school that day and he said, "Oh, good. I can go back to sleep!" It was so cute. He reminds me of a teenager sometimes. I didn't tell him details, just that they canceled class that day.
We went back to sleep for an hour or so and woke up to the sounds helicopters circling above. They were searching for this man in our neighborhood and in the surrounding neighborhoods. Early that morning the gunman had attempted to steal a man's car who lived right next to Martini's school. The man was leaving for work and tried to stop the theif. They were struggling with eachother when the man's wife called 911. The gunman pulled out a gun and forced the man into the car. The man was able to somehow get out and the gunman stopped the car and forced the man in once again. By this time, the cops showed up and the gunman took off on foot past Martini's school into a neighborhood. He shot at the cops.
Well, long story short, after SWAT, police dogs, Houston and Pearland Police, methodical checking house to house in the neighborhood next to us, around 10PM that night, a police dog caught his scent and found him in a shed. He was hiding in my brother-in-law's (Mike's) neighborhood. Mike was interviewed by Channel 13 and it was aired that night:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=6700605
A few days later we found out that he is the same man who kidnapped and murdered a woman in Silverlake (west of Pearland) a few weeks ago.
This was quite rattling after hearing about all the school shootings going on. Martini told us of drills they have if "an intruder/stranger" comes into the school and how all the students have to hide and stay quiet. I am reminded of the bomb drills back during WWII. Now, it's terrorist drills, or gunman drills. I tell you, since we stopped homeschooling Martini and decided to send him to first grade, we have continued contemplating homeschooling again, just taking it a day at a time. But, ultimately, it reminds me of how no matter how much we want to be, we are just not in control. I have to pray constantly. Pray for peace, pray for the protection from my loving Father, pray for wisdom guidance.
And I think that ultimately, that is all the Lord wants us to do. He wants us to rely on Him. Not live in fear. He wants us to cast all our anxieties on Him because he cares for us (1Peter 5:7). He wants us to ask Him for wisdom because He gives generously to all without finding fault (James 1:5).
"The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies." -Psalm 118:6,7
I feel I can say this for myself, but it is my struggle to think of this for my children. This is a constant prayer and releasing to the Lord, my children, and how much I love them. But I know that the Master Weaver wove these precious little beings inside of me and gave them breath. Does he not love them so much more than I do? Of course!
No comments:
Post a Comment