
Martini's school, K12-TXVA, and I think two other virtual academies met up in Austin on a mission:
1.) To raise awareness about virtual schooling
2.) To talk to our representatives and let them know that virtual schooling is a great option!
Now, as we took off on our adventure, we were encouraged to focus on virtual schooling as opposed to homeschooling. Virtual schooling via K12 is education provided by a state funded public school that abides by all of the state's requirements and testings.
We started making a list of all the benefits of virtual schooling and here is what we came up with so far (in no particular order):
1.) Curriculum and lesson content is completely open. We are able to see everything our children are learning. In fact, our curriculum is a very good one and we like it. It is supposed to be neutral on the origins of life and evolution vs. creation issues, but in fact, we have definitely had to point out and address references to "a very old earth," "millions of years old" teachings. It has not been a problem because we have an open dialogue in our house about these things, but this would not happen if we didn't know what exactly is being taught.
2.) Not having good-intentioned counselors coming by the classroom teaching about homosexuality in context of tolerance. Tolerance is fine, but introducing sexual orientation is not.
3.) Medical concerns - our children have asthma. No need to miss school because we need to administer treatment. Also, he can work from home and even from the couch in his pj's.
4.) We get to be with our children more. The amount of time Martini was away from home at school just broke our hearts. We love it when our whole family is together. We are a team and we love time with each other. Martini used to come home and say how much he just missed being with us! How that pulled at my heartstrings! He would say that he missed seeing us and just being with Mommy and his brother and sisters. I would tell him that he would still need to work just as hard at home, but he would respond saying he didn't mind. As long as he got to be with us. So precious!!
5.) No "homework" - odd as this sounds being that we do all work at home! The lessons we go through are sufficient. When we cover something, it is a 1:1 ratio. So, there is no extra tedious work. This allows for more free time and other activities. When Martini was attending school he would get home, eat a snack, do homework which could sometimes last more than an hour (esp. if he was just too tired. Usually he would come home spent and ready to just play and be free. To think he was in a structured setting for seven straight hours and then have to come home and do more sitting and thinking and working . . . it drained me! ), then have a bit of free time before dinner, bathe, very little time with Daddy, then bedtime!
6.)We have full involvement in his educations both academically and with character growth. We are able to discipline on the spot. This is critical, in my opinion, for character development, and it allows us to guide him in a biblical perspective. He is being guided by someone who loves him more than anyone else in the world! We, as parents, have genuine motivation and concern for our child's well being. Not to say that teachers out there don't care, but I can't expect them to love my child like I do! Martini's 1st grade teacher was an absolute God-send. She was wonderful and truly one of the best teachers ever. I loved her. So, I know that wonderful teachers are out there, but at this time, I am blessed to be my children's academic educator.
7.) Being at home requires our children to learn responsibility. They have to help out and do things around the house throughout the day. I require the older ones to read to the younger ones and even do flashcards with the younger ones. It's great because it reinforces it for themselves, teaches the younger ones, and it's more fun than hearing Mommy do it every time! Also, we are trying to implement consistent daily chores.
8.) Homeschooling encourages self-motivation. Because I have other children, I can't sit with Martini the whole time. I have to give him instructions and he has to follow. He knows that if his lessons don't get done now, then he will have to get them done later, either into the evening or the next day. He can't just let things slide. This is a skill that is needed all throughout life. As he gets older, he will be able to log onto his account by himself and see his schedule and begin his studies.
9.) Martini's shyness hampered his learning. He was too afraid to participate at times and hesitated to talk to his teachers. My initial thought on this issue was that he would learn how to speak up. I can't baby him forever. But, MyLove was painfully shy as a child as well. I had shyness and anxiety issues. He has gotten better, and we continue to work with him on this issue.
10.) Behavioral concerns/influences.I was homeschooled as a child along with private-schooled and public-schooled. One of the comments I would hear or have heard is, "you can't keep them in a bubble!" I agree! I know this is true, but while the foundations are being set in my children, it is encouraging to know that we see and hear what is going on around him for now. We can openly address things on the spot. I know and remember what kids talk about. Martini would come home and tell us some. And, I know there was a lot he didn't remember or want to tell us. I am not naive on this subject. For that reason, we keep open dialogues in our home about sex (yes, even now), girls, boys, death, manners, bad words, the Bible, etc.
11.) Freedom to go at one's own pace . . . to a certain extent. We use a block learning schedule because it works really well for us at this time. This is a great improvement to how we started. This freedom has definitely been a better system for us. That said, we are still a public school. We do not have the same freedoms as a non K12 homeschooler. We have to log attendance, keep up with assessments, and turn in work samples quarterly. But, I need this accountability at this time. I definitely appreciate it because I know my weaknesses!
12.) Lower filters. Being at home, there aren't any social filters to get in the way of learning.
13.) Foreign Language. We loooove languages. One of Martini's classes is Spanish. K12 has an excellent program that is engaging and fun. Martini and his siblings love it! They learn together as a matter of fact. We were originally drawn to their Mandarin program, but for some reason it is not offered at his grade level. This is something we will be pursuing.
14.) If the Lord were to send us elsewhere in the world as His ambassadors, schooling could continue uninterrupted. I do love the idea of the kids attending schools where a different language is taught
15.) It's cheaper for the state of Texas. Every student enrolled in virtual education saves more for the state by eliminating the inherent costs with a brick and mortar school.
****** Now! a HUUUGE CAVIAT!
I have listed all of these wonderful benefits of virtual schooling, but I know full well that the Lord can use any type of schooling to His glory. Because of this, I am not declaring virtual/homeschooling the end all for our family. We literally take it a year at a time. At the beginning, it was more like a day/week at I time because I was worried I would mess up so badly.
At this time, we know this is what the Lord has for us. If next year the Lord changes our hearts and leads us in a new direction, we know that He will provide fully. We will take matter in stride, just like we did when Martini attended public school, and give God all glory! For now, we praise the Lord for where He has us and are enjoying this adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment