Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Investment of Time

"Mommy, when do I get to have my alone time with you?"

This is a question I have been hearing a lot lately. Around the end of 2010 and early 2011, I felt so burdened to spend some alone time with each of my precious babes. With M in the throes of his first year virtual schooling and with G still an infant, my time was so limited and I could see the effects of it on the kids. I felt sad. Time just kept flying by.

So, I prayed and the Lord blessed with the grand idea to have a bit of time with each child on some day of the week. I shared it with the kids and they were elated. We set what day each of them would have time with me on . . . and . . . we did it . . . ONCE! Each of them had their time with me and then I got sidetracked with the holidays or the new year, or something.

Well, I have been feeling the burden a lot lately, namely because the kids have asked when we were going to start our "alone time" again. So, this week I told them we would do it. How excited they were :-( Poor things.

M has Mondays. E has Tuesdays. C has Wednesdays, and G has Thursdays.

Sometime in the day we try to find a block where I can spend about 30 min. with my special babe. The others have to go upstairs and not come down for anything unless it is an emergency. We try to plan it when G is sleeping, but inevitably she ends up joining us and the kids are fine with it! They totally understand. They're just excited that the focus is on them at that time.

On Monday, M made his "famous chocolate milk" and I had my coffee. We sat and ate pastries (actually, I ended up eating all three with G eating a bite or two) and talked all about his latest drawings in great depth. He has such history and detail to each of the thirty or so drawings on his papers. We then talked about getting him a nice, leather journal where he can draw all of his pictures and keep all his "top secret" info in. He really liked the idea.



On Tuesday, E had warm chocolate milk and of course I had my coffee and we enjoyed some toast. E told me all about his favorite things and asked me what mine were (just like we had done in our first alone time). We also played some tic-tac-toe and a few rounds of hang-man. What fun! Afterward he read me the book I Like it When and oh, what a great job he did. I was so proud of him!!! I am reminded of how MyLove taught him how to read when I was pregnant and bedridden with Lael. MyLove was so patient and consistant with him.


On Wednesday, C and I both had some coffee. She looooooves coffee. Even bitter coffee! She loves tea too! She asked for a Nutella sandwich. We sat and colored a particular page of her Hello Kitty coloring book. She was so diligent in her manner. She colors so well. Quite methodical for a wee one. And, yet, sometimes she can just scribble and be crazy. We had great conversation too.

Here C is with her cousin Anthony. She loves him very much. They have a special bond.



Today, I never did have my "alone time" with Giselle, and the kids felt so bad for her. But, I didn't so much. We get a lot of time together nursing and sleeping together and diaper changing. I have to tend to her the most, although we don't have playtime or reading time together too often. That is what I hope to do with her.

I caught her here at the table playing with crayons. She had thrown them everywhere, but look at how precious she is with her belly resting on the table!!! It cracks me up!


Oh, what a blessing these times are!I realize that these things we did are things the kids are constantly asking me to do with them, but I am always telling them to "hold on" or "in a minute" or "later." I feel so torn. Schooling is definitely a priority and has such a pull. Meals, cleaning, diaper changing, laundry and such are always tugging.

But, these precious moments of time I can have with my little babes are so very important. I already feel like this week has gone better even though other things have had to be put off for those moments. My relationships with them I can tell have already benefited. There is more peace and rapport. We have had a more positive atmosphere. The kids just seem happier. Maybe they are feeding off me. Maybe I am just more at peace because of these precious blocks of time getting to know each of them.

The investment of time in them faaaar outweighs duties. My duties are there, but really, they always will be and they will get done. Whenever we have a gathering, I am forced into high-gear and get tons done. Surely I can do that for my little babes!

Thank You, Lord, for time. I see how much I long to invest time in my children and in turn see how much you long to invest and spend time with us. The investment of time with You faaaaar outweighs anything! Thank You for allowing me to come to Your throne all day long through prayer and praise. Thank You for feeding me Your Word in so many ways other than sitting and reading like the podcasts, radio, music, memory, and other believers. You are so good to me. I give you glory, honor and praise.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks for this wonderful reminder! Sam and Amelia LOVE when we spend time alone with them--they just shine. We need to schedule it too! Your kids are just beautiful, inside and out, and I love getting to read your thoughts on raising them up!

The Ford Family said...

Thanks, Jenny. They just thrive with that "alone time." I still enjoy reading your blog!