Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tank Top Dilemma

O.K. I have a dilemma.

Tank tops. Camisoles. Sleeveless shirts. Spaghetti straps . . .

I don't wear them alone. If I do, it is rarely and it is when I am with MyLove to play some kind of sport or at home with just MyLove and the wee ones.

When I wear them, they are layered under or over something. I am definitely a layerer. Before it was quite the trend, I used to layer a lot just because v-necks are usually too low on me and I just like the look.

Why, one might ask, don't I feel free to wear them? Weeeeeeeeell, I grew up with a Filipina mother who never let me wear tank tops. I was brought up to dress very modestly and not to show my armpits! I have many a time wanted to, even as an adult, but stopped myself because I felt like I was doing something uncouth. I would see other women wearing them and thought how nice and cool (temperature wise) it would be to wear them, especially in Houston!!

On top of matters, I have tried on things and asked MyLove and he doesn't like me wearing them either. I have even had comments from my Martini telling me I need to put a shirt on (he was only about 3 years old, but for some reason wanted me to cover up my camisole!)

Well, I wanted to get to the bottom of this mindset I had so grown accustomed to and asked my mom why I was always told not to wear tank tops. She said,

"Oh, annocong, that is for ladies. When girls are not yet married, we were taught that they shouldn't show so much skin and that if you show your armpits, someone might see into your blouse."

"What about older women or married women?"

"Oh, yes, it's fine. I wear a sleeveless sometimes and my mother used to wear them too."

Wow, if I had just asked sooner!!! I just wonder if I will ever feel comfortable wearing them . . . ever! Now, I just have to work on MyLove!

No comments: