Monday, August 10, 2009

Ratatouille

The kids enjoy the movie Ratatouille and since they have watched it, they have asked me to make the famous dish that turns Anton Ego into the lovable, kind-hearted man at the end.

I checked a slew of ratatouille recipes online and this is what I came up with. It is definitely a combination of various recipes, but the gist is the same. It is essentially a vegetable stew.

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant, cubed
1 large zucchini, cubed
2 yellow squash, cubed
1 onion, chopped
4 roma tomatoes, cubed
6 cloves garlic, minced
garlic salt
tomatoe goya seasoning
parsley
olive oil
parmesan cheese

Directions: Sautee onions, garlic in oil.
Add eggplant and garlic salt, parsley. reduce some @ 10 min?
Add squashes, cook til warmed through
Add tomatoes and goya seasoning
Cook in oven for 30 min with lid. (I used our stainless steel pan that can go into the oven. Otherwise you can transfer to a casserole dish)
Cook 15 min w/out lid, at this time add parmesan cheese if desired.

It was a hit! I had my mother-in-law over and she does not usually like eggplant. She loved it. Even the kids ate it. Ethan needed extra parmesan, but he ate some.

***

I made this again but added mushrooms. Yummy!!!

***

I made this yet again but this time I tried slicing the veggies very thin and layering in rows in a casserole dish (more like the movie). On the botton, I first poured in a bit of chicken broth with onions sliced in very thin circles. This helped the veggies steam in the oven. I baked it all with the seasonings originally used and it was beautiful and yummy! Martini really like this one.

No comments: