Beauty and sweetness amidst stress and fatigue.
As we drove home from HEB, Martini says, "Mommy, you know what I want to do with my balloon?"
"What, Sweety?"
"I want to let go of it and let it go so high for my sister Lael."
"You mean outside?"
"Yes. So she can have a balloon to play with."
"Me too." adds Ethan.
Tears rush to my eyes and I am brought back to rememberance of then that are pure, and sweet, and good. I am saddened all of the sudden and full of love and other things fade. I just love my children so much and I thank the Lord for them. I didn't go into the explanation that she wouldn't literally get to play with them. I just enjoyed the moment, and it was great.
We got home and immediately cut off the weights and the boys let them go. We watched them as long as we could and talked about how Lael is in Heaven. We touched a bit on how she would appreciate such a gift but that she would not actually be able to touch and play with these actual balloons. We did not dwell on that but on how sweet it was that they wanted to send them to her. They were happy and so was I.
***
Today has been a tough day. We woke up quite early to meet Martini's new teacher. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't as smooth as it needs to be on Monday for school. His new teacher is the cutest little thing. She just had her first baby nine weeks ago and my heart broke for her and her little daughter at the thought.
We then headed to Target to get some extra supplies when I was pulled over by a police officer. I had been on the phone talking to my father-in-law about an uncle with cancer when the beautiful blue and red lights atop the cops car started flashing for me. I pulled over immediately, hung up, pulled out my license and got my registration.
Turns out, I didn't turn on my right turn signal when I turned. By the Lord's grace, I was give a written warning because he so kindly reminded me that they no longer give oral warnings. I shed a few tears as he ran my info while the boys excitedly told me how they would love to be police officers one day so they could tote around a real gun and have handcuffs for the bad guys.
On to Target where things went relatively smoothly despite the no-tax crowd. I checked out quickly longing to releive my bladder only to find the main restroom closed for cleaning and the only other one occupied.
We left and headed to HEB. Out of frustration, my kids sat in silence while I yelled quite loudly at them in the van for disrespectfulness (ironic, huh?) and warned of consequences if any more foul behavior were to take place.
HEB . . . head straight to the restroom - everyone goes including Carmelita after I took off a full diaper and then had to put her pants back on without a diaper - get a cart and the nice lady gives them each a balloon - immediately, three balloos are all over the place being hit, swung, bopped on heads, almost hitting other customers - quick warning about behaving with balloons - kids are hungry after samples - purchase sushi and eat in eating area - clean up and continue shopping - get more samples because kids are still hungry - try my best to continue shopping - have to stop behind the tiny furniture section at HEB to spank Carmelita's hand because of throwing and hitting balloon and throwing fit and not obeying - continue shopping - check out - head home in utter heat with Carmelita screaming almost the whole way home until sleep overtakes her - home - balloon release (beautiful moment) - unload groceries - put away perishables - sit and eat a bit more - sit in front of computer (while Carmelita screams after waking from her nap). Carmelita has had a tough two days for some reason. Early rising and late retiring have not helped (or contribute to) the situation.
Anyway, may the balloon moment reign in my mind today as a reminder of the futility of stress and the beauty of God's gift called children.
No comments:
Post a Comment