Friday, November 14, 2008

Martini's in Love!

What a week this has been! MyLove and I have recently found out that our 6 year old son is in love!

On Monday, MyLove picked Martini up from school and Martini told him that a little girl in his class, Genevieve, was saying, "Oh, no. He's following me again." MyLove asked him why she said this and he said, "I just like being around her, Daddy. I want to be where she is." . . . Oh, so innocent!

On Tuesday, I picked Martini up from school and said, "Hello, handsome! How was school today!"
"I got a paper!" he said giddily with a big smile on his face.
"What paper?" I asked.
"I got a paper from Genevieve. She asked me 'Do you love me?' and there were two answers at the bottom. 'Yes' and 'No" He was just giggly and smiling away as he told me. And of course I couldn't hold in my laughter and surprise at what he was telling me.
"What did you do?"
"I circled 'yes' then I circled 'no.' I wanted to cross out 'yes,' but Mrs. Holmes came and took the paper and threw it away." Martini says as he puts his head in his hands and shakes his head, still with a beaming smile.
"Oh, wow! Did Mrs. Holmes talk to you about the paper?"
"No."
So, we were all just giggling away, even Ethan now a little bit.
As I drive away from the school, Martini says, "I do a little."
"You do what?"
"I am in love with her a little!" He says shyly and hits his head with his hands.
When we got home, he said he wanted to give her a paper too and immediate got out some paper and drew her a very elaborate picture. He drew himself with armor and a sword and she was in a dress and there were things all over the paper, including a couple of hearts. On the back, he drew a cross with Jesus and blood and nails in His hands and feet. He was a little embarassed to show Daddy that night, but did so and explained it all. He wanted to give it to her the next morning.

MyLove and I talked about it and I told MyLove that I would leave it up to him. Truthfully, I am at a loss. We have explained to the kids that kissing and holding hands and such affection (as Mommy and Daddy do and as seen on movies sometimes) is done when a man and woman are married. But this? I have no idea how to approach this. I was not at all prepared for this. I started really worrying that night if we were raising him correctly and if this was godly and if we should or shouldn't encourage this. Should we explain in more detail to Martini what love is and that it is for adults to act on? What do we do? What do we do? What do we do?!?! MyLove just reassured me and encouraged me to pray for wisdom and to not be so worried. Praise the Lord for my grounded, calm hubby! I so need him. And praise the Lord that He's the leader and not me!!!

Wednesday morning, I was debating whether or not I would remind him about the picture he wanted to give her, but as soon as he woke up, he reached under the chair next to him and grabbed the picture. He "didn't want to forget it" so we put it in his backpack. He wasn't able to give it to her, but kept it in his desk.

I picked him up from school and two teachers peaked in the window and said, "You have a little lover boy on your hands!"
"I know! I can't believe the note and everything!"
They laughed and said bye to Martini.
"Is this normal? He's only in 1st grade!"
"Oh, don't worry. Yes, it's normal!"
We drive away and Martini says, "Mommy, I want to draw her another picture. I want to make her so many. As many as I can. I love Genevieve!" We got home and I made him concentrate on his homework first then he drew her another picture.

That night we were all just hanging out together and all of the sudden Martini says with a smile, "I asked her if she likes Kung Fu Panda and she said that she does and thinks it's funny." He was clearly thinking about her while we were all talking and playing and just being together.

Thursday morning, we put the next picture in his backpack. He wasn't able to give her this one as well but kept it in his desk. He continued talking about how much he loves her.

Martini and Ethan see Carmelita's princess books on the table and Ethan says, "Ewww, girls!" "Ethan, don't say that! I love girls! and I love Genevieve. Did you know that?!" He says forcefully with such conviction. Ethan responds, "Well, I love Mommy. Did you know that?!" We got after them for talking to eachother in a rude way and MyLove and I start laughing at the whole situation.

Friday morning, I wake Martini up telling him that it's Friday in a fun voice. I tell him that he will get the next two days off!
"No! I don't want days off. I want to go to school. I love Genenvieve!"
"Son, it's the weekend. There is no school on the weekends."
"But, I want to see Genevieve."
"Son, don't worry. You will see her on Monday."
"I won't see her on Monday!"
"You will see her on Monday."

Let me tell you, Martini has dreaded school from the very beginning. He cried for the first three weeks at school! He would pine away for Fridays, weekends, and days off. This new excitement for school has been incredible, and it is all the result of his love for this precious little Genevieve! I have met her before when I went to lunch with Martini. She is the most adorable little thing. She eats her lunch so neatly. She opens up her napkin and puts it on the table like a makeshift place mat. And she is ever so polite.

I just can't believe that I am even talking about this when my eldest child is only 6 years old!!! Oh, Lord, please give us wisdom!!!

2 comments:

MultiTaskingMom said...

You've been tagged - see my blog.

Cassie said...

I am just laughing and laughing and giggling, and imagining the huge smile and cloudy eyes of sweet little love-struck Martini!

So funny.

I will tell you this, Mandie and one of the little boys in her class (Tristan) decided they were boyfriend and girlfriend. They were holding hands at school, and telling everyone about it. I thought it was no big deal at first, but I really wondered about how to handle it. Luke and I talked about it and we decided that we aren't going to allow any of our kids to have a 'boy/girl friend until they are at least 14. Until then, our plan is just to tell them that God has ONE person just for them, and that they will know who that person is when they are older. Furthermore, two year olds are not old enough for boyfriends!!

But, it's still so cute!!

LOVE YOU!!