Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mohawk Mania

When all of our kids have turned one, we have completely shaved their heads. This is something I learned from my mom. It is a Filipino tradition that encourages stronger, thicker hair and evens the length throughout. Well, doing this to Carmelita has raised some eyebrows and I have had some pretty interesting comments about it all.



Anyway, in support of their sister, we decided to shave the boys' beautiful, long, thick hair as well. They didn't like the idea of it so short but loved the idea of a mohawk. They have a cousin, Ezekiel, who has sported a mohawk for about two years now (I think), and jumped at the idea of having one like him.



Sooooooo, I shaved their heads before Carmelita's birthday and when we shaved Carmelita's hair on her birthday, we gave her a mohawk too!



Left View


Right View



This picture cracks me up. Ethan is probably trying to explain how hungry he is (as always), Carmelita is bored picking her nose, and Martini is posing tough for the camera.




I looooove this picture.

The boys are so loving with their sister. They really love her and were so excited when they saw that we had given Carmelita a mohawk as well.



Martini helping his sister walk around.



"Oh, no!"



Martini in his warrior pose.




Ethan lookin' cool.




Carmelita looking at her new elephant.



You can see some curls there at the bottom.





Well, it was fun while it lasted. Last night I shaved Carmelita's mohawk off and this is what she looked like today while playing in the pots and pans cupboard.



My lovely, little lady.







We plan on keeping the boys' mohawks for a little while. We've gone out various times and they definitely get comments. We tell the boys that having attention like that means they have to be very careful with the way they behave and be good examples to children. They are representatives of not only our family, but also the Lord. It's a big concept, but hopefully some good will come out of this Mohawk Mania!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those mohawks are amazing! I freaking love them. Never seen kids with such large perfectly fanned mohawks. You should definitely put these pics into the www.mohawksrock.com photo album under kids with mohawks. Here is a link to some other little tikes sporting them.
http://www.mohawksrock.com/photo/album/show?id=1501994:Album:1624

The Ford Family said...

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it!

Cassie said...

Love the mohawks!! What awesome pictures! I love all your posts!

MultiTaskingMom said...

I love the mohawks!!!! They all look awesome! And don't you have the most beautiful children of all!!