About a year and a half ago, I was lovingly asked to be a part of the women's ministry at our church. It was going to be for the summer session of 2010 and I was honored. But, I had not had G yet. MyLove and I prayed about it and decided it was not a good idea as I would have to make a firm commitment and doing that with a newborn was unrealistic for us. We definitely cherish and savor those first months with baby. I told them that maybe the following year I could.
Well, it's been over a year and I brought it up to MyLove again feeling the itch to get out there and serve. I want to get out there with other women and learn how to minister, listen, share godly truths, use scripture appropriately, lead effectively in the Word . . . I want to be effective!!!
So, MyLove and I talked and he told me he would pray and he told me to pray too.
A few weeks passed. I prayed and asked that the Lord would give us one mind and that He would lead MyLove clearly.
I randomly mentioned to MyLove how excited I was and how I was looking forward to being stretched. But, seriously, no pressure!
Then, one day, I asked MyLove if he had any leading from the Lord. He tells me that he hadn't prayed much and had forgotten! He needed more time.
Then about a week later, I asked him again while we were getting ready for bed.
MyLove: You know, Babe. I just believe that your ministry is here. The kids, our family. It would be a big commitment and it would take a lot of time away from the family.
Me: Babe. I know. I wondered about that. But, I was looking forward to being stretched and learning more.
MyLove: Honey, I just don't have a peace about you doing it. Maybe it's just a season. But, the kids and I need you here. With school and just everyday things, you are so busy already.
Me: I know. It's just that sometimes I feel like I am so busy doing the mundane that I am rendered useless. I know that is rediculous because I am obviously not doing useless things. But, I long to be stretched doing things with my mind and learning new things from others. But, I agree, Babe. This is not the time.
So, I prayed. I prayed that the Lord could use me and thanked Him for the ministry of my husband and the ministry of my children. What freedom to pour my heart into them and enjoy it! What a gift! What responsibility!
Then, the most amazing thing happened. That very week, I took a walk with the kids and talked with a neighbor for around an hour and a half. We spoke about many things. I was able to tell her the gospel in full! I explained what it means to become a Christian and how believing that Jesus is real is not enough. We must choose to follow Him! She struggled with how exclusive it is to say that Jesus is the only way. And, I told her that it isn't me saying it. It is the Word of God. "[Jesus] is the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father but by [Him]" -John 14:6. MyLove met up with us after he got home and so lovingly prayed and occupied the kids during this precious time. What a tagteam we were! She told me she looked forward to continuing our discussion in the future.
That same week, I was able to minister to a dear neighbor with love and a meal. I was able to give glory to the Lord for giving me the strength to have our four children care for them and homeschool.
And, again that very week, our pest control guy, the same guy we have had for six years, came by. His mother just died and he was devastated. They were such buddies, he and his mother. I talked openly about his need for salvation. I urged him to turn to the Lord. He knows where we stand as we have told him the gospel various times, but this time it was different. He asked me where his mother was now. I told him the Lord knows, but that he would go to hell if he did not turn to Jesus. Oh, the struggle in his heart. I told him to let go of whatever he was holding onto! It wasn't worth it compared to what he would have in Jesus." I know. I know," he would say. But, he admitted it was too hard to let go of the things he loves in this world. Oh, how it tears at my heart. He is an older gentleman. Overweight. Diabetic. with other health issues. I told him today is the day of salvation! Don't think you can make that decision on your death bed. "The last thing I want to hear is that you've keeled over in someone's lawn dead from heatstroke! I would feel like a failure knowing that your soul was lost forever." I spoke with tears and he saw my pain for him. But, he told me he wasn't ready. Gambling and such were too hard to let go. He would think about it, he says. He even said that he knew the Lord wants him to turn to him, but he wasn't ready. Oh, the urgency for one's soul! On the cusp of eternity!
But, in reality, that is where we all stand. On the cusp of eternity. The question is will it be an eternity in heaven with The Almighty, or in hell in bitter torment?
I shouldn't be here, really. When I lost Lael, I hemorrhaged and needed five blood transfusions. I never would have thought this would happen. It was so unexpected. When I went out (asleep/unconscious) I had no idea what was going on. A hundred years ago I wouldn't have made it. But, when I was told this after I awoke, I had such peace! I would have been with my Creator. My Savior. My Redeemer! How can people live without hope? They need to know.
So, as I recounted all these things to MyLove, I cried. I was thankful to MyLove for being such a great leader and not giving in to my desires even if they were soaked in "good intentions." I gave glory to the Lord for giving me my desires. He stretches me and gives me ministries outside the home through relationships, namely nonbelievers. I just love nonbelievers, and Jesus knows that! And you know, that is how ministries work anywhere else, through relationships. The difference is, the Lord opened my eyes to the fact that my ministries are my everyday life. Giving Him glory in all things, to all people and just being there for them. I know their deepest need. Even if they don't. And, I know Who can fill that deepest need. I know Him intimately.
Hallelujah! I will forever praise You, Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment