Wednesday, May 11, 2011

C's Sewing

Well, for C's 4th birthday, we got her her very own Hello Kitty sewing machine. I know it seems like she would be way too young, but I believe that this is something that she can learn, at least get familiar with. My mom taught me when I was young as well. And, besides, children in the Philippines get machetes to cut down branches and wood as children! I truly believe that children should be exposed to "dangerous" things, like knives and fire, in the proper context to develop the proper respect for them.

Wow, what an excited little girl she was. We set it up and she sewed her first lines on her own machine. I remember sewing around the time she was two and she would take the pins and put them back into the pin cushion. How scary! But, she caught on fast. She stuck herself a couple of times, but she learned. Then, I let her sit in my lap and help me feed the fabric through the machine. Oh, she just looved it.

Since then, she has asked over and over if she can sew. So, I know a sewing machine would be a fun gift. Since she received it, I have let her use it only about two or three times, but boy does she love it.

Well, the other day, I was so busy with schooling and trying to finish an order (Thanks, Kerri!) and C saw my sewing machine set up downstairs just waiting for someone to use it. She came running in and asked:

C: Mommy, can I sew?
Me: No, Sweetie. Not right now.
C: But, I want to! I want to make a shirt.
Me: [pause] Ok, but you can't make a shirt. I have to teach you how to sew first.
C: I already know how to, remember?
Me: You can sew some lines, but not a shirt yet.
C: Pleeease, Mommy. I just want to sew.
Me: Ok, go ahead, but be careful!

My nerves got bunched up as I let her go to the other room while I stayed by the computer helping Martini. I have a bin with a whole bunch of scrap fabrics that she uses, and after some time, she came running in . . .

C: MOMMY!!! Look! You were wrong! See, I told you I can sew a shirt! (she says holding up three pieces of fabric sewn beautifully in a line, much to my amazement)
Me: Wow, that is beautiful! How did you do that?
C: (holding it up to her chest) I sewed it! See, Mommy. You were wrong!
Me: Well, you are right! I was wrong! You did sew! You did a good job! But, that is not a shirt. (I say, bursting her bubble, but not quite)
C: I'm going to make it into a shirt! See?! I sewed!

Oh, She was so proud. And, honestly, I was so proud of her. She somehow connected end to end three pieces of fabric. It is a simple thing to do, but I never showed her how. She is just one determined, feisty, independent little thing, and I love her so much!!!



2 comments:

Jenny said...

That is so great! What a useful skill she will have. Go girls!:)

jrowenjr said...

I can't believe she's sewing! You're doing a beautiful job on this blog! Love, Dad.