The boys have been asking and asking if they could go trick-or-treating for the last couple of years and we decided that after explaining our position and knowing that they had a good understanding that what we were doing was letting them dress in their favorite characters and showing others while getting candy was fine. Actually, I really didn't know what to do and thankfully, MyLove decided what we were going to do.
So, they went out with Daddy and Grandma while I stayed home and handed out candy to the little ones . . . and not so little ones. I always love giving candy to the shy ones because I can so identify with the mothers who are trying to build their confidence and security.
Well, in the end, the kids had a good time except for the end. Sadly, it ended on a not-so-good note. They weren't gone for long. They all came back and MyLove dropped Grandma and Carmelita off. The boys and Daddy went out one more time for only a couple of minutes and at the door I heard someone crying. I opened the door to find my little Ethan crying. They came in and I held him as MyLove explained that they went to a neighbor's house who was quite "enthusiastic" about celebrating Halloween with elaborate, scary decorations in the yard and the couple dressed the part. Ethan heard the scary voices and just couldn't take the scene. It was too much for his little heart to take and he had enough. He was so scared, poor thing, and they came right home. Martini quickly piped in and said that he wasn't scared. :-)
How does this affect our position on the whole thing and the latest decision? I really don't know. MyLove and I will talk about it more and pray and see. We are learning as we go. It definitely became a good teaching moment to the kids about why we don't celebrate evil things, but things that are good and of the Lord. Giving candy away always feels good and the kids enjoy acting like their favorite characters. We talk about why these characters are good and what qualities the Lord would like us to have.
The journey of parenthood continues. . .
Knock-knock! Who's there?! Why, it's IronMan, Minnie Mouse and Obi-Wan Kenobi!

"Trick-or-Treat!"

Ethan, so handsome and confident in his costume; Carmelita looking for candy; Martini looking out for other little characters to bond with!

Grandma with the kids starting their journey.

***Side Note:
We have never bought costumes at full price. The kids have either gotten them as gifts and one year, I happened to go to Target after Halloween some time. I found the costumes in disarray, but at such cheap prices. So, I made it a point to go this year to see what I could find. Yesterday, I found various ones for the boys and settled on Power Ranger costumes for $10 each that were regularly $20 each. There were no costumes for Carmelita's age except for ugly gothic costumes. We will head to Walmart today to see what we can find. The kids love to dress up and play all year round, so this is a great opportunity for us. Carmelita really wants a princess costume. Hopefully we can find something.
***
We made it to WalMart and found Carmelita a Snow White costume that she is wearing right now on my lap as I type. We found some discount Halloween table cloths that we will use for camping this weekend and some %50 off fall cookie cutters and fall sprinkles!
No comments:
Post a Comment