Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Innocence Slipping Away

C: Mommy, is war real?
Me: What do you mean?
C: I mean, is war really real? Do people really fight in wars?
Me: Yes. Wars are real.

C makes a terrified face and hugs the wall she was leaning against and says, "Oh, no. That makes me scared . . . "

Me: I know, Baby. But, don't worry, even if we were in a war, God would be with us and would protect us!
C: I don't like war. I wish there wasn't war. It makes me scared.

We are officially at war as far as our country goes, but she doesn't see it directly. When we celebrated Memorial Day, we watched a program about the realities of war our troops go through in Afghanistan. It was difficult to watch.

My poor little Sweetie. It breaks my heart to see her realize these terrible things in the world. People die. Children die. There is so much terrible-ness in the world.

All I can do, as she learns of these awful things, is point her to Jesus. He is our only hope. Our only salvation.

No comments: