Friday, November 18, 2011

"What is love?" he asks.


The kids are having lunch. I am in the kitchen cleaning up and getting my coffee. This is the conversation I hear the boys having:

E: Uh, Sir. What is love?
M: Huh?
E. This is a silly question. What is love? (in kind of a play adult voice)(I am thinking, "that is NOT a silly question!! Many adults don't know what love is!)
M: Love isssss . . . when you are nice to people.
E. So, if I am nice to God, then I will go to heaven?
M: nooo. You have to believe in Jesus.
E: Oh, then you can go to heaven? (He is now acting like someone other than himself, almost as if to test M)
M: Well, you also have to . . . ( at this point I am so having to control myself not to add my two cents . . the truth I know in case they get it wrong. I hold my tongue so I can see IF THEY know the truth!!! How wonderful that they are talking through the most vital topic ever!!!) kind of work for Him. You need to do good things.
E: Like what?
M: You need to help people. And go to church.
E: OK. That . . .
M: Oh!! And you need to pray! And you need to read your Bible!!!
E: What is that?
M: It's a book about God and you learn about Jesus.

At this point I had to go and tend to the girls. They kept talking and I heard E get sillier and sillier and they laughed and had a good time. I told them that I was so glad they were talking about this.

So precious are these children to me. Thank You Lord, for letting me be their mommy. I am truly so privileged.

***

While salvation is not dependent on works, it IS ALL ABOUT JESUS, and I believe they get that. They know that no matter what you do, unless you believe and follow Jesus, it's all for naught.

No comments: