Thursday, November 4, 2010

Martini's Thoughts


We are doing Social Studies review and talking about what kind of pollution a leaking oil freight would produce . . .

Martini: Water pollution?

Me: Yes! Good job. Hey, remember the oil that was spilling into the gulf because of BP . . .

Martini: Oh, Tony Hayward? (he says before I could finish my sentence.)

Me: Yes. Ok, well next question.

***

After a somewhat tough morning and afternoon of me getting after him during school . . .

Me: Martini, I am sorry for being so tough on you today. Son, you are a smart boy and you have a great brain, so when I see you just staring off into space and not doing your work, it frustrates me because it takes us so long to move on.

Martini: I can't help it. Sometimes I am just daydreaming about gold . . . or Jesus . . . and sometimes about Genevieve and who I'm going to marry.

Me: Son, why are you worried about who you're going to marry? That is a long way away?

Martini: Well, what if I'm daydreaming about Jesus. Isn't it better to dream about Jesus than just do school work?

Me: It's always good to think about Jesus, but He also wants us to be responsible with the things we are supposed to do.

I then wanted to go on about my responsiblities as his mommy and how I can't just sit there all day and think and read my Bible, despite my desire to curl up with a cup of coffee and the Bible . . . but, we were interrupted and we moved on with the lesson.

***

After visiting with Genevieve and her precious family we came home and Martini went quickly to work with a pencil and paper. Later he showed us what he was so intently working on. He made a graph-sort of thing that showed how many years he has to get to 25 and then at 18 he starts dating and then at around 21 gets engaged and then around 23 thinks about what woman he would like to marry in case there are others and then at 25 marriage.

We asked him why 25, and he said that is how many lines he could put on the paper. Since then, he has repeatedly talked about how he will get married at 25. We told him that he will not need a long engagement if he knows who he is going to marry and that he will not get engaged unless he is sure she is the one. He sorted these bits of info in his filefolder of a brain and carried on!

Oh, that boy! He is such a romantic, imaginative, analytical little being. I love him so.

No comments: