Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Potty Already?!

Tonight, I told Ethan to go peepee, but he didn't need to and while we were discussing it, Carmelita walked up to us saying, "peepee, peepee," and pulled at her diaper. I was excited and took her to the toilet. I took off her diaper and she peed in the toilet! I was so happy and praised my sweet Carmelita while she squealed with excitement. We kept cheering and then I told her that she could have some gum, and she was elated. She just kept squealing and cheering.

Now, this is not her first time going in the potty. Once, she went with my mom and about four times, she has gone with MyLove. I am convinced it's because they are patient and actually take her to the toilet when she mentions it. I, on the other hand, assume that she is saying "baby" and move on hoping we can continue whatever else we are doing. To tell you the truth, I am not quite ready to do the potty transition. In stores . . . night time . . . dropping everything to help her take her pants and diaper off. I definitely have grown to appreciate the convenience of diapers with my third child. With Martini, I hoped that he would potty train when he was six months so that I could parade him around like some trophy of my doing. What a nerd. I know that there are cultures that actually do this (potty train by 6 months, not parade them around!): in Kenya, the Philippines, some in China, Iran. Ours isn't one of them. I realize that all milestones we have with children: learning to walk, first tooth, eating on their own, talking, they are all acheived within months of the more "advanced, exceptional" children and really there is nothing to worry about most of the time.

In the end, Martini fully transitioned at 3years, 4months. Ethan: 2years, 5months. Sooo, we'll see. Carmelita is currently 21.5 months. I only stopped nursing her in late Novemember. She's growing too fast!!!

No comments: