Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

Today hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, begin observing Lent.

I believe that Lent is observed as a means of sacrifice to the Lord for the redemption of sins. To appeal to the Lord, and this is not what the Bible says to do.

In Isaiah 64:6 it says, "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away."

Our "righteous acts" mean nothing if we think they will in some way redeem us from our sins.

There is one sacrifice only that can redeem the sinner.

Hebrews 10:8-14 "First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. 9 Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. 14 For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy."

There is nothing wrong with fasting, or focusing one's heart on what is right: Jesus. But there is no redemption of sins by anything except by the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross.

2 comments:

Maxine said...

I am visiting various blogs this evening in a hope to meet new people. I wanted to meet people who appreciate Elizabeth Prentiss books to invite them to a blog I've started on her writings.

Your beautiful children caught my eye. They are absolutely adorable. May the Lord bless your family as you seek to serve Him.

I agree with all you have said in this post about Lent.

The Ford Family said...

Thanks Maxine. Yes, I love the works by Elizabeth Prentiss. They always inspire my walk with the Lord.